As they say prime location, location, location, and this farm has it all. From commercial property with front road access, water springs, primary and secondary forest, plain areas for construction, beautiful hacienda, and barn, even your own rock quarry. The farm overlooks the lake created by hydroelectric dam on Rio Grande.
This splendid and impressive farm is right now a cattle farm and has all the features to be converted as a sustainable mixed development and or true nature retreat and only fifteen minutes from the center of Atenas, twenty-five minutes from Escazu, thirty minutes from the SJO airport, and 45 minutes to the Pacific port of Caldera, Rancho Montecito is remote enough to feel miles away from city life, yet is close enough for international travel, hospitals, schools, banking, dining, and shopping. We foresee a 10.000 student dorm university soon and will provide a big influence of commercial business for this farm.
Offering the very best of rural Costa Rica with its trails, wildlife, organic fruit trees, produce, beekeeping, cattle, horses and breathtaking views, Rancho Montecito is the perfect location for a sustainable community, possible future crop investment as a canamo plantation, sustainable cattle farm, residential sustainable development, school, hotel, or any project of great scope.
- Property is 2 kilometers from Balsa exit on new #27 expressway
- 22 kilometers from largest commercial & shopping center (San Jose)
- 16 kilometers from Orotina (site of recently announced principle new airport)
- Overlooks lake created by hydroelectric dam on Rio Grande
- Assessable by new 2 lane road and bridge.
The following amenities are included in the farm.
- THE HACIENDA Built in 2008, this five-bedroom, five-bathroom Hacienda style home and guest house boast a unique design with gorgeous woodwork from felled trees of the property. Featuring all the modern comforts, from solar panels, solar water heaters and high-speed internet to fine finishes and fresh pristine spring water this magnificent home blends beautifully with the never ending, magnificent green backdrop.
- THE GATEHOUSE Any property or project of this scope needs a caretaker. This 120 m2 two-bedroom, one bathroom home is located at the entrance to the property and is perfectly set up for a caretaker. It also gives a wonderful first impression upon entering the gates.
- THE RESTAURANT Built in 2012, this 480 m2 restaurant has two exterior courtyards, a large interior seating area, an upstairs bar and lounge, a downstairs bar, full kitchen, bathrooms, management office, a staff apartment with private bathroom, and a large garden for growing herbs or children’s area.
- THE FARM This sprawling farm, measuring 97.5 hectares or 240 acres, boasts magnificent views, primary and secondary forest, multiple large and flat pastures, a rock quarry, 7 registered springs, water from the local Asada, roads, high tension electricity, multiple structures, machinery, and an unbelievable location.
- THE BARN The barn is used for the proper and orderly storage of the farm’s tools, feed, and supplies. With more than 1000 m2, the barn is an area equipped to service the needs of any project!
- THE CORRAL The corral is an important part of this farm’s operations. The cattle are rounded up, checked, bathed, and cared for monthly in this very comfortably planned working space capable for working with over 100 animals at a time.
- THE BEES are critical to our environment, and for the pollination of the reforested areas and fruit trees on this farm. For over 15 years, this property has been home to a divine production of honey from its very happy bees.
- THE ROCK QUARRY Another feature of this property is that it has its own rock quarry, which has produced all the rock used on the farm for roads, walls, and other infrastructure. Aside from the rock and slate extracted from the quarry, quartz can also be found on the property further suggesting the presence of minerals on the property.
- THE SPRINGS Water is one of the most important commodities of our future. The true gold asset of this property is its seven registered springs that flow via gravity to large holding tanks providing pure, high-quality water for the many uses of the farm.
- THE FOREST Primary and secondary forests offer a profound appreciation of how essential they are, an abundance of oxygen and a refuge for wildlife such as deer, wildcats, pizotes, tepezquintle, monkeys, porcupines, tropical birds and so much more! As part of the stewardship of this farm, 90,000 native trees have been planted over the past 20 years to mitigate its historical deforestation and create a safe biological corridor, improve air, water and soil quality and aid in providing shade and freshness to the property
- THE INFRASTRUCTURE After years of investment and fine tuning, this farm offers all the infrastructure needed to operate a project of great scope. From roads, electricity, and abundant potable water, to location, proximity to highways, airports and electrical sub stations, Rancho Montecito is set up for an easy transition for both commercial and residential projects.
- THE ADMINISTRATION The administration of this property is meticulous. After 12 years of hard work, the administrator successfully managed to segregate the property into 93 lots. The taxes are up to date on all lots, and the entire property is free and clear of all liens. A corporation holds all the 93 lots and can be absorbed to facilitate transition of ownership. Additionally, there are seven springs on the property, all of which are legally registered. A huge of amount of time has been invested in the structuring and administration of this property, and buyers can be assured a smooth and transparent transition.
- Total size: 97.5 hectares
- Linear meters of public road frontage: 1300 linear meters
- Number of segregated lots: 93
- Lot sizes: Ranging from 1,406 m2 to 33.78 hectares
- Services available: Electricity, water, internet
- Registered springs: 7
- Elevation: 315m – 810m above sea level
- Climate: 22°C – 27°C, Canton: Mora, Province: San Jose near Atenas “with the best climate of the world”.
- Primary and Secondary Forests, Re-Forested with 90,000 hardwood trees of region
- Restaurant with frontal road access.
- Barn, Corral, Grazing Pastures and Panoramic Views
- Plan was for expat residences from US & Europe, but also due to demand for sustainable communities
Features of the house:
Gated Property with 4 Bed/3 Bath One Story Main House, 1 Bed/ 2 Bath Two Story Guest House, with Separate Staff Quarters, Office with built in furniture, Air conditioning, Solar Heated Water Tanks, Solar Panels for Daytime off-grid use, Furnished, Pool with Waterfall Feature
Mixed Use Property
- Mixed Use Land Ready to develop Using 5000 square meter sites, and 97 lot segregations.
- Commercial opportunities like virtual nomads and wellness resort.
- Ninety-seven and a half hectares (240 acres)
- Ninety-three legally registered lots
- Thirteen hundred meters of public road frontage
- Taxes paid completely up to date
- Held in an inactive corporation for easy transfer
- Infrastructure in place: water, electricity, solar panels, road, Internet.
- Safe Financial Investment Climate
- Costa Rica highly stable politically
- Growth Opportunity
- Country continues to have a prosperous economy with foreign investment welcomed
- Government Investment in infrastructure (roads, bridges, airports)
- Sustainable development and communities are on the rise following the pandemic.
- Property has potential for passive investment through Carbon Credit Plan from tree planting on non-buildable areas of property.
- Possibility for own food production and own water, electricity, and food supply.
- Permaculture opportunities.
- Real & Intangible Values
- Property is on one of only three inland lakes in Costa Rica, which could be used Touristic in the future.
- Other two sites have had notable development even though not as well positioned geographically to population centers, work locations, transportation, and recreation sites as this property (Real estate mantra: Location, Location, Location)
- Wellness assisted care residential, elderly care, Tourism with Boutique Hotel, balsa Lake could be positioned as Tourism opportunity.
- Location of property will contribute security for residences, a selling point for many people.
- Power & water access support project success. Site will utilize a geophysical survey for water access (in process); site & pricing could also utilize solar power economies.
- Other commercial ventures could be available on site (Bring in other partners) CR allows skilled and semi-skilled foreign workers to help build facilities.
- Location, generally free of hurricanes & damaging earthquakes.
- Strong alternative to other Caribbean locations with infrastructure issues.
- To support easy purchase, financing flexibility can be available.
- Geographic, environmental & political influences support value increase
- Property location, prep development, demographics ideal for investment
- Development options & improved tax regulations facilitate high ROI
- Flexible Acquisition options
- Seller willing to consider & work with buyer’s strategies & objectives
My personal take on this fantastic property. I told the owner one of then most beautiful farms I have seen in the country. This farm has it all. A great opportunity and potential for a developer with vision. Schedule a showing today to see if this one-of-a-kind property meets your project’s needs.